Monday, November 07, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.1.2 - Fírí


I dropped to the ground, out of sight between the two cars. My lungs pounded. Someone had punched me in the gut. I couldn’t get enough air. Like last night, before the Kılímıs kidnapped me and drugged me and. . .

Had the cop seen me? The cruiser was in the driveway, probably parking behind the tow truck. He hadn’t been going fast. He hadn’t had the siren on.

Sweat dripped onto the cement below me. The world shrank, got dark. Tiny fireflies. I laid down, misjudging and hitting the ground hard with my shoulder. On my back, breathing quick but trying to slow it down.

The police. I had to hide. Too late to close the trunk. Or was it? Minivan and tow truck in the way.

Deep breaths. Very bright sunlight baking me on the hot ground––gravel on my right and concrete on my left. I turned my head right, looked between tires. No movement. No feet.

I lurched to my feet, grabbed the trunk, pulled it down as my knees gave out. I fell hard on my butt. The trunk clicked––latched but not all the way closed.

Over the thunder in my ears, a car door slammed. Move. I had to move. Crawl if I had to. Or else it was prison for me. My muscles didn’t listen. Crunch of feet on gravel getting louder.

No comments: