Friday, November 04, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.1.1 - Bhanar


We had to practically sit Pí‘oro up to get him around the bend in the hallway, lifting heavy under his limp shoulders. Tamé tripped backwards and landed hard on the floor, his hat falling off. I thought for a second that he’d passed out, too, but he sat up quick, looked at Pí‘oro, met my eyes.

The towtruck driver said, “I think we should call the paramedics.”

Of course. I’d been so quick to follow Vata’s instructions that I forgot the basics. “Yes.”

I laid down the old man and just as I started to step around him, Pí‘oro spasmed. My head almost hit the ceiling. His whole body jerked back and forth, every muscle firing randomly.

“Do not let him choke on his tongue. Hold him down!” I turned down the hall, racing for the kitchen phone. Behind me, Pí‘oro coughed––his diaphragm muscle in the seizure, too.

I yanked the phone off the wall, pushed the ambulance preset with my thumb. It rang. I sort of spun slightly, anxiously waiting.

The dog was licking up the blood off the floor.

“Sıpa‘ı, no! Get out of that!” I leaned down and smacked him on the rump.

The long-haired lab jumped, glared at me, and wandered toward the screen door.

“Excuse me?” said the phone.

No comments: