Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.1.3 - Bhanar


“Sorry,” I said. “A dog.”

“You’re calling about a dog?” asked the woman.

“No! A dog was licking up the. . .” I couldn’t say it.

“The what? Why did you call? Is this some kind of prank?”

I shook my head. “No, no. Pí‘oro Kılímı fell unconscious and now he is having a. . .” What was the word in Sarıman?

“Is he having the same thing as the dog is licking up?”

What? “No! I do not know the word. Shake. Shiver. Vibrate.”

“Seizure?”

“Yes! That is it. Please send paramedics. The address is. . .”

Pí‘oro walked into view in the living room, grinning broadly like he was drugged out. Tamé followed, eyes big.

“What’s the address?” asked the dispatcher.

“Um. . .” I rubbed my eyes. Pí‘oro was still there, walking jauntily towards me. “Never mind. He is okay.”

As I hung up the phone, I heard her say, “I knew it was a prank call.”

“Are you okay, Mr. Kılímı?”

Sıpa‘ı ran past me, stopped by Pí‘oro with wagging tail.

“I’m great, son. Great. Never felt better. My good man Tamé said you were on the phone again.”

No comments: