Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.4.1 - Tamé


I turned back to the front door and stopped. I really didn’t want to go back in that house. I’d never known the Kılímıs very well and now I was glad I hadn’t. Something mighty strange about them two. And their guests were ten times worse.

I looked at the police car as it sat behind my tow truck. It was in the perfect spot. I could just lift it up, get it out of the way. But I shouldn’t. It’s a cop car, after all. I scratched my chin. The sun was damn hot. Aw, what would they care. I wasn’t about to hurt nothing.

A minute later, I had the cop car hitched up. I climbed into my cab, started the engine, put it in reverse, and slowly backed down the driveway. It was tricky going. I’d never backed up a tow that far before. At the end of the driveway, I waited for a couple cars to pass on the highway, then backed the cop car onto the road, cranking the steering wheel. Once I cleared the ditch, I pulled forwards onto the gravel roadside, parked with the cop car clear of the driveway. No problem. I grinned as I hopped out of the truck.

I flipped the lever for the crank and the car started back down, the chain clanking as it fed through the pulleys. My gaze drifted back up the driveway. I’d been hired to tow the car in the garage. Two vehicles blocked me from it. But I could move them two just as easy as the cop car. And there was plenty of parking alongside this road here.

The cop car settled on the gravel and I unhooked the chain. I frowned at the house. Sure. Why not?

No comments: