Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.1.5 - Bhanar


Pí‘oro dropped down on his haunches and scratched Sıpa‘ı playfully behind his ears, under his chin. I had no freaking clue what just happened.

“What just happened?”

Tamé lifted his cap and rubbed his balding scalp. “I don’t know, honest.” His eyes stood open, his jaw slack. “He just, you know, woke up.”

Woke up. He just woke up. My hand was on the hilt of the gun in my belt before I realized it. I didn’t draw it. Not yet.

Pí‘oro looked up at me, his eyes full of energy. “I don’t know what happened, son, but it was the best thing that every did to me. All pistons are firing. It’s like I’m ten again.”

“But how? This does not make any sense.” He’d been acting all angry and then he collapsed, like a heart attack or something. But he was in a coma. And after a seizure, he woke up, better than ever. They certainly didn’t cover this in that first-aid course.

Pí‘oro hopped to his feet. “Where’s Vata?”

A doctor. I needed a doctor.

“In the ‘sanctuary,’ I reckon,” answered Tamé. He just stared at the lively old man.

“Do you have a phone book?” Any doctor would do.

“Sure.” Pí‘oro bounded to the kitchen. “It’s in the cupboard over––” He stopped, staring at the floor, the blood. “Zhíno,” he whispered.

Bam! Bam! Bam! Someone pounded the front door.

No comments: