Thursday, November 17, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.3.2 - Tamé


I kept my hands where Deputy Séara Nulıpéshı could see them. She sure had a big gun, nearly half her own weight, I’d reckon. I’d never seen her draw it before. Maybe she never had, except on the shooting range. She frowned at the kid. “What do you mean, ‘chapel’?”

Bhanar shrugged. “That is what she said.”

I got my feet under me, hands still out, and managed to heave myself standing.

Séara lowered her gun. “Show me.”

The kid started down the hall, the young policewoman following close behind––ignoring me. Bhanar said, “I did not see the room, but Mrs. Kılímı went through a door.”

I straightened my cap and released a deep breath. I didn’t know what these people were messed up in, but I was thinking it was about time for me to leave. The police were here. They could call me back when they had all these crazies locked up and their cars moved out of the way, if they still wanted that old car towed. One of these fools must have the keys to that car too. The police could just drive it away themselves.

I walked out the open front door, closed it behind me. Squinting in the hot sunlight, I tugged my cap-brim lower. The rocks and dirt reflected a bright ochre to the horizon. Closer, in the driveway, Séara’s police car blocked my tow truck. No room to squeeze by, at least not with my big truck. I was stuck there.

“Aw, Pétíso.”

No comments: