Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Poas

In case any of you bothered to watch The Amazing Race last night, they went to Costa Rica. The episode wasn't very good by TAR standards, due to complete bunching halfway through the leg and a Philimination caused by a Random task. The site of that poorly-designed bunching was Poas Volcano, a place I've been!

I recognized the crater itself; I recognized the paved path leading to the lookout; I recognized the gift shop. The path that they were struggling with running on was very flat and only a couple hundred yards long. Kinda high elevation, I suppose. I bought a notebook made of banana paper there. . .

PoasFlags
The entrance to the park had the flags of Costa Rica and Taiwan flying side-by-side. I don't think Costa Rica has very good relations with Beijing.

PoasOverlook
The overlook was rather crowded when we were there. The racers didn't really have any competition for viewing when they were there. Of course, they barely glanced out as they grabbed their clues.

PoasCloseup
Straight ahead and down is this green lake at the bottom of a smoking crater. My Costa Rican professor described the volcano as an old man who sat on his porch and smoked cigars all day, every day, for the tourists to take pictures of him.

PoasThree
Big crater. Too big for my point-and-shoot camera. Well, it would be too big for my digital camera, too. Actually, disposable cameras have good wide-angle lenses. . .

2 comments:

Pedicularis said...

Wow, you are such a world traveler! That is the second time that TAR has crossed paths with your prior travels, outside the U.S. In addition, TAR has crossed your path in Washington (state), Mississippi, and New York, as well, hasn't it?

Sotosoroto said...

Seattle and NYC, certainly. Mississississippi, not so much. Although "crossed paths" would be true. But that could be said of Alaska, California, and various airports, as well.