Monday, April 24, 2006

Company

The good thing about having company over is that your house is clean and tidy for days afterwards. And all the compliments about my home sure didn't hurt!

But when the first people to show up apologize for being late, you know something's not right. It was a games night. We were supposed to play games. I said to show up at 7:00. The first arrivals were at 7:20. We probably started the first game at 7:45 when we had most people there. Two others arrived at 8:00. At 11:00, when everybody was leaving, one of the late arrivals started chatting about flags and wall paint, and all I could think was that if he wanted to chit-chat, he should've arrived at 7:00!! And while I would've normally enjoyed a conversation about flags, even under the circumstances, I didn't enjoy one with someone who professed to know all the flags but didn't recognize the Greek flag and thought the Irish flag looked a lot like the Narakan flag but with orange.



See the similarity? Granted, my Narakan flag is hung vertically, but still.

3 comments:

Sotosoroto said...

It's not that he wasn't perfect, it's that he claimed perfection while not being so. Ignorant know-it-alls are much worse than know-it-alls or the merely ignorant.

Pedicularis said...

This discussion reminds me of a little matrix of
1) you know what you know
2) you don't know what you know
3) you know what you don't know
4) you don't know what you don't know

It is easy to get along with folks who know what they know and what they don't know (and are honest enough to admit it). It gets exasperating to deal with folks who don't know what all they really know (they say, "Oh, yeah, I knew that."), and folks who don't know that they don't know things they think they know.

Also on this line, I used to work with a guy who often said, "It is not forgetting things that bothers me; it is remembering things that never happened." :)

Anonymous said...

He didn't recognize the Greek flag??? That's a pretty distinctive flag not to remember! I'm with you, Soto. I can handle someone saying they don't know or someone who knows their stuff. But a self-proclaimed expert who doesn't know squat is very tiresome.