Friday, April 14, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.1.4 - Bhanar


I called Zhíanoso? How?

The fire god smirked. “Enough of this jibber-jabber. You need to get back to work.”

“But. . .”

“Wake up now.”

I sat up in bed, Zhíanoso gone. It was all a dream. No, He was real. I think. I threw the covers aside and stood on the soft, soft carpet. But the High God of Fire, the Creator of the Universe, He was my descendent? Not only was I dreaming, but my subconscious was conceited. Stupid subconscious.

The floor vibrated, a rhythmic shaking growing stronger. Earthquake! But we didn’t have earthquakes on Kètnít. Where was I? I ran for the door, missing the floor with almost every step, it bounced up and down so much.

My hand near the knob, the house shaking, I heard a familiar noise, offbeat with the earthquake, but nearly as violent. Thunka-thunka-thunka-thunka-thunka-thunka. The floor kept bouncing steady, but the deep bass noise grew louder. Thunka-Thunka-Thunka-Thunka. The earthquake hit me in the gut, shook my head. Thunka!-Thunka!-Thunka!-Thunka! A bright light stabbed my eyes, blinding me.


The deep beat rattled me. The earthquake rocked me. Darkness. I opened my eyes.

Feet. Running feet. Thunka!-Thunka! Umo’s shoes. No socks. Thunka!-Thunka! My feet? I bounced around, dangling upside down. Thunka!-Thunka! Dark desert flew by. The light hit again.

No comments: