Saturday, April 08, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.5.1 - Sétıpímo


The young blonde screeched, “They kill rabbits, dogs! Look what she’s done to that cow!”

Indeed, the hind legs of a mutilated cow lay on the ground behind Vata. Guts spilled out near her dirty, bare feet. That was a felony right there. But what was this business about the God of Animals?

“In what way does killing animals honor Névazhíno?”

The white-haired woman gestured to the altar with the bloody knife. “They are His animals. We gave their energy back to Him, in exchange for His healing force.”

I shook my head. It didn’t work that way. “So you healed Zhudıro’s, very well. And when Deputy Nulıpésha arrived, what happened?”

Fírí slowly headed for the door, as if she didn’t think I’d notice.

Vata scowled, her wrinkles deep and dark in the torchlight. “He and Fírí kidnapped my husband and took him to the gully.”

“That’s a fucking lie!” Fírí shouted from the doorway. “Zhíno was comatose!”

Vata shook the knife towards the girl, towards me. “Watch your language! You and he are together on everything. You killed that patrolman as much as he did!”

I held out my hands. “Calm down.” I stepped forwards. “Give me the knife.”

Behind me, Miss Parızada yelled, “She’s a fucking liar.”

Vata looked at the knife, still raised between us. She breathed hard.

I stepped towards her again, hand outreached. “Please.”

“You want the knife, dear? I’ll give you the knife.”

No comments: