Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.5.4 - Bhanar


Zhíno’s voice had been just behind those bushes. I crawled slowly forward, careful of twigs, careful to keep my gun barrel off the ground.

The bastard was silent. In the blackness, I couldn’t see more than a yard. Had he slipped away? Or was he hiding, listening for the cops? What had happened to the cops?

A dirty face. My head exploded.

Bright dots of colors bounced around in my skull, stabbing my brain, growing in intensity. Warm colors. Reds, browns, yellows, oranges.

The pain swirled away much quicker than it should have. The gully was gone. I was home. But I didn’t recognize the room. A very soft bed called out to me and I tucked myself in. A mattress of soothing flames.

I closed my eyes to sleep and saw Zhíanoso standing before me.

“Hello,” I greeted the High God of Fire.

He scratched His ruddy goatee, an impish grin plastered on His face. “Good evening. Come here often?”

I looked around. No ground, no air, no water. Just fire. “Um. . .”

“Never mind.” He flicked His hand between us. “What are you doing? Sneaking around in the dark, trying to shoot someone dead? That’s hardly honorable behavior for an emperor. Respect your lineage! King Furoíso, King So‘osolopo, Emperor Zéhé!” He shrugged. “Okay, maybe not So‘osolopo.”

“I. . .” I cleared my head. “I’m sorry, but I didn’t think You really existed.”

No comments: