Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.4.1 - Bhanar


“What was that?” Lango stopped.

Several more gunshots snapped through the air, a continuous string of firecrackers.

“Zhíno.” Umo raced into the darkness.

I shoved Lango in the back. “Go.”

The snivelly man went, me close behind.

More gunfire ahead, from near the headlights up above the rim of the gully. How did Zhíno get a gun? He must’ve taken one of Séara’s in the confusion, after all.

Branches grabbed at my ankles, clawed at my face. I ran blind with my arms crossed in front of me.

But who was he shooting at? They had to be shooting back. Police? Were we at a road? Or more mobsters hunting our quarry.

I ran into Lango.

“Watch where you’re going, dumbfuck.”

Umo spun and smacked Lango across the face, sending the smaller man reeling into the bushes.

“Why did we stop?”

“The gully wall, Your Majesty.”

Shots kept firing and I could hear them zinging through the leaves above, thwacking into tree trunks.

“Zhíno must be close.”

A black form appeared against the dark sky, arms and legs flapping and flailing.

No comments: