Thursday, April 20, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.2.5 - Bhanar


“He is getting away!” I tried to get to my feet, but strong hands held me down.

“We’re sorry, but we can’t let you chase him. It’s not safe.”

Zhíno’s form disappeared into the darkness. I sank back down, leaning against one of the medics. Gone again. In my grasp, in my sight, and that bastard managed to slip away once more. Tenth time today, it felt like.

The paramedics murmured some jargon to each other. The man at my side turned his heavily-shadowed face to me. “Can you walk? Or should we bring a stretcher?”

“Walk.” Of course I could walk. Now that Zhíno escaped, they’re letting me stand up and walk. Now that it’s too late.

The man behind me grabbed my armpits and boosted me up. I stood there for a moment. The ground seemed stable underfoot. Nothing wobbled in my vision. I walked for the helicopter, the two paramedics close on each side, but not touching me.

The helicopter started its blades rotating again and a chill wind hit my body. A full shiver wracked down my spine, stuttering my breath.

One of the paramedics hugged my shoulders, guiding me under the spinning blades, through the dusty breeze. I shivered again.
They sat me in the open door and hopped in themselves. A blanket wrapped around my shoulders and pulled my back. The ground fell away.

No comments: