Thursday, April 13, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.1.2 - Bhanar


The High God of Fire laughed, fingers of flame flicking of His clothes as His body shimmied. “Oh yes, I exist. I’m your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson, after all.”

“My what?”

Zhíanoso grinned at me, somewhat condescendingly. Around his neck hung a large five-pointed jewel, red as a hot coal. Heat radiated from it. The necklace was power. The jewel was the Universe. If I had that ruby, I could do anything. I could put Zhíno and Lango and the rest of their gang in prison. I could bring Umo and Pí‘oro and all their other victims back to life. I could make Séara notice me. I could . . . be an emperor.

“No.”

“What?” I frowned at Zhíanoso’s lowered eyebrow.

“Maybe in a couple years. You’re not ready for it yet.”

I shook my head. “But it would solve my problems.”

“And create a myriad of others.” He clicked His tongue. “No, you must first learn how to act like an emperor––how to be responsible, honorable, considerate, respectful.”

“But I am all that stuff!”

“And humble.” The god chuckled.

I scowled. “You’re telling me You brought me here just to give me a pep talk? Just to say ‘be a good person’? I’m in dire trouble and You’re not going to help me?”

“Hey, don’t be greedy. And I scowled. “You’re telling me You brought me here just to give me a pep talk? Just to say ‘be a good person’? I’m in dire trouble and You’re not going to help me?”

“Hey, don’t be greedy. And you called Me.”

No comments: