Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.4.1 - Vata


That idiotic newsgirl thought that just because she was famous, she could take our horse. I tried to get a good look at her, but young Sévo blocked my view with his chest. It was times like this that made me want powers of destruction and not just healing.

Sévo jerked my elbow, nearly dragging me down the driveway.

Here I was, being arrested from my own home––not officially, yet, mind you––and that little bitch acted like I was a piece of dirt.

I glanced over past Sévo. The newsgirl stood at the back of the van, completely ignoring me, looking inside. As if my illegal apprehension wasn’t newsworthy.

“Hey, Irézí Sıvíhí,” I called. “They haven’t charged me with any crimes, but they’re taking me away anyhow.”

That got her attention. They snooty girl snapped her head at us. “Nıléké, why aren’t you getting this?”

“My batteries are dead.”

“Plug it in, you fucking idiot!”

The cameraman scrambled behind the van doors.

Sévo stopped, peering back at the detective, hoping for direction from that doddering fool. I smiled. A little old lady being arrested by a civilian on the evening news. How would that look?

Still in Sévo’s grasp, I turned around. Fírí held up her hands in front of her, warding off the second young man.

Sétıpímo whispered, “What boxes?”

No comments: