Monday, April 10, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.5.3 - Fírí


“She’s a fucking liar!” I stepped down onto the wood stairs, my hand still on the doorjamb. How could the old bitch say things like that? She couldn’t expect him to believe her.

Detective Sétıpímo walked towards Vata, one slow step after another. I had to go talk to Sévo and Raíngozé. Forget her lies.

“You want the knife, dear? I’ll give you the knife.” Vata lunged at the old man.

He grabbed her wrist, spun. But the tiny old woman held onto the knife and overpowered him, knocking him to his knees, twisting and getting behind him, the blade suddenly jerking towards his throat. She paused with the edge indenting his skin. Blood trickled down his flabby neck. The cop froze, wide-eyed, hands out.

“Don’t move and perhaps I won’t sacrifice you,” Vata rasped, her knife hand shaking. Her other hand gripped the cop’s shoulder, bunching his tweed jacket.

I stepped backwards, up the stairs.

Sétıpímo’s eyes begged me to help him. But what could I do? If I made a move, she’d slit his throat. It was up to him. I had my own life to worry about. The flannel guys wouldn’t wait forever before they got violent. I stepped back into the hallway. To the detective, I said, “Do you believe me now?” I turned down the hall, pushing off the doorjamb.

I limped across the soft carpet. No screams or gurgles of death behind me. Good. I turned the corner and yelped. Sévo and Raíngozé leaned against the wall, looking at me.

No comments: