Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.2.2 - Bhanar


Suddenly I was airborne, the world spinning past, and the ground hit me hard. The shaking stopped but not the Thunka!-Thunka!-Thunka!

I raised my head. Back in the desert. Night. Scattered clumps of bushes. A spotlight danced around the terrain. Thunka!-Thunka!-Thunka! Zhíno raced away from me, wearing Umo’s jacket, shoes, and my shorts. I glanced down at myself. Naked except for my briefs.

“Pétíso damn that bastard.”

Thunka!-Thunka! A helicopter circled above me, alternating its spotlight between me, Zhíno, and the surrounding desert. Another police helicopter?

But as it landed, I saw its red-and-white markings state it was from a hospital. Which meant they wouldn’t go after Zhíno. Which meant Zhíno was getting away.

I pushed myself to my feet, took one step, and promptly fell over. The ground wasn’t stable. I didn’t have my balance. I sat up, trying to orient myself.

Two men jumped out of the helicopter, landing in crouched positions, and ran towards me.

“No!” I called. “Go after Zhíno!” I pointed towards the bastard.
But they ignored my words, kneeling beside me. “Don’t worry. We’ll help you out.”

“You can help me by getting Zhíno.” I jabbed my finger again.
The paramedic took my wrist. “We’re not cops, sir. We don’t have guns.”

No comments: