Monday, April 24, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.3.4 - Fírí


I found the car keys before I started looking. They sat atop Bhanar’s wallet beside his duffel. I snatched them up and headed for the door. As soon as the cop and the flannel guys left, I’d get that pickup out of here, one way or another. I sort of knew where the drop-off point was. Hopefully that would be good enough for Gogzhuè.

I carefully closed the door behind me and looked up to see everyone standing stock still, their backs to me. And past them all, beside the baby-blue pickup, a black-haired girl walked a horse towards the news van. A cameraman appeared around the corner of the garage, his camera obviously off by its angle. Neither of them looked our way.

Vata’s shrill voice filled the night. “What do you think you’re doing on my horse?”


The tan girl dismounted and tied the reins to the van’s mirror. She stared at the old woman over the trunk of the police car, where my suitcase was. “Your horse? I found it tied to a tree in the desert.”

“Don’t give me none of that, missy. I recognize––”

“Ladies!” Sévo stepped between them. “Mrs. Kılímí, forget your horse. You’re under arrest. Get in the car.” He gestured down the driveway.

I started down the cement path. My left heel sparked with pain on every step. To Raíngozé’s back, I said, “Help Sétıpímo to his car, please. Some of us can’t wait around all night.”

No comments: