Monday, April 03, 2006

Is there a botanist in the house?

On Sunday, I just happened to be at the University of Washington and a camera just happened to be nearby, and so I took a few pictures of the cherry blossoms near Red Square.

UWcherries

What I wonder, though, is why are these trees three weeks behind the other cherry trees in Seattle? The cherry blossoms have come and gone on the trees up here near Northgate, but the UW trees are in full bloom right now. I guessed that it might have to do with sunlight. The UW trees are between two large buildings and won't get much direct sun. The Northgate trees have open access to the south and west, so they get full afternoons of warm sunlight. Whadaya think?

1 comment:

Sotosoroto said...

Oh great. Now I'll have to go back. I didn't see the ones in the Quad. The photo is at the southwest corner of Suzzallo Library, on the way down to Drumheller Fountain.