Friday, April 07, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.4.5 - Bhanar


Bullets filled the air. I dove under a fallen tree, screaming, “We got him! Stop shooting! We got him!”

But we didn’t have Zhíno. Umo had been shot. I’d seen him fall. And the naked bastard had disappeared.

I heard shots from the gully floor. Not Umo. Lango or Zhíno. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lango had taken Umo’s guns and shot him in the head for good measure.

My ears rang with every shot. I heard some shouting and then the intensity increased. How many bullets did these guys carry? I didn’t have any extra clips. But I did have a gun. Maybe I could shoot either of these criminals without them or the cops seeing and shooting me.

I crawled backwards under the log, feet first, gun in hand, till my foot bumped into something. Which side of the log should I be on? Where was the firing from? I paused and listened.

Suddenly, the cops stopped shooting. The bad guys fired a few more, then stopped, too. On my belly, I crawled on the opposite side of the log. I heard a murmur of conversation between Zhíno and Lango. Angry snipes. Good. Keep them distracted with each other.

Umo was dead. The cops were dead or at least out of bullets. It was all up to me. I had to stop them. To capture them. Perhaps, to kill them.

I snuck forwards, chin to the ground.

No comments: