Friday, April 21, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.3.2 - Vata


In custody but not officially arrested yet, I shuffled down the concrete path. My hands were sticky with Népí’s blood. I’d lost the race to hide her carcass. And now I was going to jail, apparently for a crime I never committed.

Rape. From where in Sívorí’s cosmos did that girl obtain the idea that I and Pí‘oro raped her? The very concept was absurd, and ridiculous upon further consideration. But what else could I do?
The young man, Sévo, stopped near the end of the path, his grip on my upper arm halting me as well.

“Which is your car, sir?”

The entire driveway down to the road was lit up like daylight thanks to Pí‘oro’s special floodlights. Four vehicles in the driveway and even more parked along the road. Never had I seen as many cars at our house.

“Behind the news van,” he rasped. “It’s unmarked.”

I looked back at Sétıpímo.

“Let’s go, Mrs. Kılímí.” Sévo tugged my arm.

“Shouldn’t you arrest me sooner rather than later?”

“Yes, yes. Sévo, stop.” The detective coughed, grimacing from the pain. I truly should not have tried to kill him. But Névazhíno, why did You abandon me? Why did You leave me without Your perfect guidance?

Sétıpímo stopped, staring past me. I turned and saw a young woman riding our stallion, Arıparapé.

No comments: