Friday, February 03, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.2.5 - Bhanar


“Are you kidding me? He has to weigh over a hundred-fifty kilograms!”

“Just get him out of the sun.” I guided Séara down the trail into the gully, leaving the naked man with the corpse. Under the trees was welcome relief from the heat and the bastard Zhíno.

As we descended the loose slope, the short brunette relied less and less on me for support. By the time we reached the bottom, the clearing, the creek, Séara walked on her own. Her gaze still focused on her feet––and tears still flowed down her cheeks, but at least she had gained some composure.

“Come on, have some water.” I led her to the creek, babbling clear over round, orangish rocks. I crouched down at the water’s edge, but Séara remained standing. “It is okay. It does not have . . . disease.” I could see where the water flowed from the ground. It might have some bird crap or whatever other animals were around there, but this close to the spring, it was probably safe and free of bacteria. I hoped.

I cupped my hands and dipped them in the cold water. I raised my dripping pool to my mouth. It tasted delicious. I sucked my palms dry and dipped another scoopful. “Here, Séara. Have some. It will wake you up.”

She slowly knelt down. The water leaked out of my hands.
From above, Zhíno shouted, “If I leave him up here, some animals might get him.”

I turned my head. “Then stay up there and guard the body, you fucking idiot!”

No comments: