Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I am what I am

I can be a loud man, I can be silent
I could be a young man, or I could be old
I can be a gentleman, I can be violent
I could turn hot, man, or I can be cold
--from John Butler Trio, "Zebra"

Sometimes I'm talkative and energetic, but just as often I'm silent and reserved. Both are the real me. I'm able to be by myself for a lot longer than I'm capable of being with other people. I choose my words carefully before saying important things. Talking does not equate thinking. What's that Douglas Adams quote?
If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandonded this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
If something annoys me or excites me or whatever, I'll say something about it. But I prefer to just go with the flow, you know? And if something I do or say upsets anyone, I expect them to say something about it to me. If they don't mention it, I'll just assume they're okay just going with the flow. After all, that's how I work. And really, how else will I know?

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

is someone upset with you?

Anonymous said...

As, I've said before....I really like your words. :) I hope you are well. -Ra

Pedicularis said...

If I may add a comment that is marginally relevant, this thread brings to mind something my grandpa used to say (generally to my grandmother, after she criticized him), "Well, excuse me for existing!"