Monday, February 27, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.1.3 - Fírí


Deputy Laparıpasamé helped me to my feet, one hand on my elbow and one on my back, like I was an old woman. Once standing, I shrugged off his grasp. I hobbled as little as possible as I walked to the front door. It looked like we were alone in the house.

“Don’t you want to get some shoes?”

Shoes. Of course. I’d been running around barefoot all day, all over the place. Shoes almost seemed like a foreign concept to me. Me, with thirty pairs. Well, only eight now, since Zhíno and me abandoned Earth.

I limped down the dark-blue hallway toward “my” bedroom. I should just get the cop to bring my suitcase to the hospital. Abandon this place just like I left my former life.

What in Kanıtío’s name had I been thinking, running off with Zhíno? He was an idiot, a criminal, and a jerk.

I opened the bedroom door and Laparıpasamé followed me in. My large suitcase sat open on the floor, right as I left it. My sneakers still sat between the suitcase and the bed. I grabbed a pair of socks out of the case and sat down to put sock and shoe on my right foot.

“Do you need any help?”

“Could you bring my suitcase?” And then I’d be free of this place. Except. . .

Except for the boxes of illegal guns, ammo, and explosives in the garage.

No comments: