Monday, February 13, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.4.1 - Umo


I removed my jacket as I ran. The sun was getting low in the sky, but the desert was still damn hot. My shirt stuck to my chest. My tie flapped over my shoulder.

From behind me, Lango whined, “Umo, slow down.”

The sand trail was soft, but not so much it was difficult to run.

“It’s not my fault you’re out of shape,” I casually remarked between breaths. “It’s only two kilometers.”

Two kilometers till I saw Zhíno Zhudıro. A mile and a bit till I shot him in the face. I’d toy around with him first, of course, make him squirm. Make him beg for death.

I’d have to hurry, though, if I wanted to beat the cops’ helicopter. I’d et to the gully first––I had no doubts––but if I wanted time to properly fuck him over, I had to hurry.

Despite the heat and my profuse sweating, I barely breathed hard at all. Lango was just about dying. “Hurry up, idiot.”

I didn’t need Lango for this. He was just fingers. He’d be no use with Zhudıro. He’d just get in the way.

I sped up.

“What. . . ? Wait!”

My fine leather shoes pounded the ruddy sand, driving me down the path to my quarry.

No comments: