Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.5.2 - Irézí


When I got to the back of the house, I stopped and turned. I knew Nıléké would need awhile to unplug himself and I was well out of camera by now.

As I caught my breath, I glanced at my watch. I wasn’t going to make the end of the news, but maybe they’d give me a Breaking News. If I got that, and actually had a scoop on the cop killer, I’d get noticed for sure.

Where was Nıléké? I couldn’t yell for him, just in case we were still on the air. But I didn’t hear Taíséma anymore, either. I could see part of the van past the house, but no movement. What was he doing?

Relax. Relax. Just relax. You have a two-kilometer run ahead of you. Northward. A gully somewhere to the north.

I looked north, past the fenced yard of bleating animals. Open desert. A few trails to choose from. I’d just have to guess and hope for the best. But how hard would a gully be to find, anyway?
I heard footsteps running behind me and turned to see Nıléké chugging toward me in the shadow of the house. His camera pointed skyward.

I ignored his glare and started jogging northward. We probably wouldn’t arrive in time, knowing my luck, but I had to try. Nıléké kept pace behind me.

My flats almost fell off with each step, but not if I flexed my toes upward. I wasn’t going to lose my shoes.

No comments: