Friday, February 17, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.4.4 - Bhanar


Zhíno held out his wrists to Séara. “Do what you must.” His face was somber, his jaw relaxed.

The policewoman stepped toward him and I spouted, “Careful.”

But she didn’t take her eyes off him. She knew as well as I that Zhíno was capable of anything. He just very might lunge and grab one of Séara’s guns and try to shoot both of us. He could––

“Click” went the handcuffs. “Click.” He’d gone quietly. He just stood there meekly. Ashamed, almost––and not because he was stark naked. He was acting, surely. It had to be an act. He’d tried loud, crude, and obnoxious and it failed him. So now he was playing along with Séara’s orders.

He looked at me––caught me studying him. He gave me a face of such hypocritical sorrow and false innocence that I just wanted to smack him.

“Bhanar, stop.”

I looked at Séara. Her wide and fearful eyes danced between my face and . . . the gun I’d drawn from my shorts. Had I really pulled it without noticing? I wasn’t going to shoot him, that’s for sure. Right?

“Do not worry. I am being careful, that is all.”

The tan brunette didn’t seem fully mollified.

“Do not worry.” I tucked the gun away again. Why was she afraid of me? I was the good guy here. I was the sane one.

Zhíno cleared his throat. “What now?”

No comments: