Thursday, February 23, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.5.5 - Sétıpímo


The tall, blond patrolman looked understandably frustrated by Vata Kılímí. She was definitely hiding something. As soon as I got back into town, I’d get a warrant over to Judge Rapımaré for signing. Fírí Parızada’s testimony coupled with my own suspicions would be more than enough.

Patrolman Vorıso was saying, “It’s not breaking and entering since I was just in here, as part of my investigation.”

Vata waggled her finger. “But I didn’t let you in the first time, neither. You certainly have an unfortunate habit of taking liberties with citizens’ privacy and freedom!” I stepped almost between them. “Mrs. Kılímí, please excuse Patrolman Vorıso’s rudeness. Despite it all, he’s just trying to do his job of protecting you from the likes of Zhíno Zhudıro.”

Her eyes lit up at Zhudıro’s name. “Yes! That young man was quite evil and rude. Is he in custody yet?”

I glanced at the patrolman, since he’d taken over, but he just smiled at me, waiting. It was his show now, so I guess he was just being unprofessional.

To Vata, I said, “Deputy Nulıpésha is out of communications range. If she doesn’t have him yet. . .” I had no idea if the young deputy had even found him. Miss Parızada hadn’t mentioned her being at the gully.

Thankfully, Vorıso continued for me, “We’ll have him shortly when the helicopter arrives.”

Good. I was hoping that’s where he’d gone.

No comments: