Thursday, February 09, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.3.4 - Irézí


“What helicopter?” I repeated. I hadn’t heard a helicopter. How was one involved?

The patrolman stared down at me. Footsteps on gravel behind me––hopefully Nıléké was filming. Finally the patrolman’s stiff face softened with a sigh. Smile twelve worked––even on gay men sometimes. “The suspect has been located at a gully two kilometers north of here. The sheriff’s helicopter will retrieve him.”

I gave him smile four––gratitude––before turning to the camera. The camera wasn’t there. Nıléké wasn’t there. The two businessmen in sunglasses whispered to each other, arms behind their backs. Where in Pétíso’s name was Nıléké? My smile dropped. I’d gotten the scoop and it didn’t get recorded.

I checked my watch. I still had time before the news ended. I started walking toward the van and that idiot cameraman. The two businessmen broke into a run up the driveway––northward. They couldn’t be tv execs. Maybe they were federal agents. Two kilometers. They’d probably beat the helicopter, if it was back in Sémı‘aréíso. Why did the police have a helicopter when Channel Six didn’t? How was I supposed to get out to the gully? Was I supposed to wait here for tidbits from the state patrol?

“Nıléké! Get your skinny ass out here!”

He stuck his head out the back of the van. “What’s up?”

“With your camera.” I gave him my evil glare.

“Oh.” He ducked back inside.

No comments: