Thursday, February 16, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.4.3 - Irézí


Nıléké hopped out of the van, his camera on his shoulder. “Where do you want to be?”

I stepped back, brushing my hair with my hands and adjusting my earpiece. “Get the cops in frame.”

In my ear, Míro said, “They’re on commercial. Taíséma will go to you after.”

I readied smile seven. Over my shoulder, I saw one patrolman walking back to the house. The other stood by his car, watching me. I flashed my sexy smile at him before turning back to the camera.

“Ten seconds.”

I couldn’t just sit here. I had to do something. I had to announce something dramatic. I had to make news, not just report it.

“In three. . .”

I fixed my excited smile upon the cold, dark camera lens.

Míro switched over to the live feed and I heard Taíséma say, “We’re now going back to Tuhanı, where Irézí Sıvíhí has breaking news for us.”

“That’s right, Taíséma! I have just learned that the cop killer suspect, Zhíno Zhudıro, has been located hiding out in a gully two kilometers north of my location. The sheriff’s department is sending a helicopter to make the arrest.” I took a deep breath and switched to smile eighteen––intense excitement. “And we will be there when it happens!”

Behind the camera, Nıléké’s jaw dropped. He was connected to the van with several wires, but his camera could run on batteries if it had to.

“Let’s go.” I turned and ran.

No comments: