Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.1.5 - Fírí


If the cops searched the house, they’d find the boxes of contraband. Boxes with my fingerprints all over them. Boxes that would put me in prison for a very long time. I couldn’t let them search the house till I somehow got rid of the guns. I couldn’t let the cops get a search warrant.

“I take it all back.”

Deputy Laparıpasamé furrowed his black eyebrows. “Take what back?”

I forced a smile. “All that stuff I made up about the Kılímos raping me.” I giggled a shrug. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”
His face was stiff, his eyes slits boring into my brain. “You made it up.” It wasn’t a question, but it was a question.

“Yup. Just a joke. I wasn’t thinking clearly. I was a bit. . .” I waved my finger beside my head. “What with the pain and the running and all.”

He stared at me, silent and motionless.

My smile wavered. He knew I was lying. Sweat formed at my temples. I had to make him think I was honest now and lying before. Or else prison.

He moistened his lips. “We need to get you to the hospital. C’mon.”

I could tell by the look in his eyes, as he helped me to my feet, that he thought I belonged in the psych ward. I shook off his grasp and limped to the door. Better crazy than a convict.

No comments: