Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.4.6 - Sétıpímo


There had been an odd smell coming from down the hall, but I couldn’t place it. Whatever it was, it didn’t belong in a house. But with no warrant, I couldn’t go looking. I carried a handful of cloths back to the girl in the kitchen. Vata followed slowly.

Fírí Parızada had her bloody foot on the table––in the same spot already bloodstained. Deputy Laparıpasamé stood close by.

“Laparıpasamé, wet these rags. Let’s clean it first.” I handed the young man half the cloths. The Kılímos had had no bandages that Vata could find. I was going to improvise.

The blonde looked up at me and murmured, “Did you see the chapel?”

Was she on drugs? She transformed from manic activity to slothfulness rather quickly.

“Here,” said the deputy, holding out the damp cloths.

The front door opened.

“Clean the wound and then wrap it up with these.” I set the dry cloths on the table beside the blood-sodden swatch of trouser leg. “Then drive her to the hospital. You can get her statement later.” I fixed my gaze on the deputy’s wandering eyes. He looked up at me. “And stay with her at all times.” She was an accomplice, after all.

I turned away, back to the living room.

“Yes sir.”

One of the patrolmen had been intercepted by Vata. I smiled thinly.

No comments: