Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.5.3 - Bhanar


“Now,” said Séara, “we carry Mr. Kılímo back to his house.” She didn’t look at the body. Her eyes focused on Zhíno’s face.

“Who are you going to get to do that for you?” The scruffy-bearded man smirked. “My hands are cuffed, you know.”

Me, then. I groaned inwardly. There was no way I could carry Pí‘oro’s bulk by myself––and probably not even with Séara’s help if we made a stretcher.

The policewoman faced me, her jaw tense. “We’ll make a stretcher.”

“Out of trees?”

“Yes. We have to.” Séara walked over to the edge of the gully and the small trees she’d tried to break earlier. We had no saw or even a knife. This was impossible.

Zhíno glanced southward, away from the gully. Was he thinking of making a run for it? My hand hesitated on the butt of my pistol.

But then I followed his gaze and saw a man running toward us, dressed formally in a white shirt and black slacks––and a tie. I felt instantly unprotected, even though I wore shorts––unlike our naked prisoner.

“Séara. Someone approaches.”

The deputy turned around and peered at the distant newcomer. Zhíno started backing toward the gully––toward Séara. His face was scrunched with worry.

No comments: