Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.3.3 - Fírí


Vata narrowed her eyes at me. “Yes, dear. I’m sure I have some. Just let me remember where we keep them.”

They didn’t have bandages. Why would they if she could just kill a rabbit to make any injury go away? I smiled pleasantly. “Unless, of course, you know a better way to heel my toe.”

“They’re in the bathroom. Let me get them for you, dear. Have a seat, dear.” She shuffled past me with cold eyes.

I pointed at the floor. “That’s Zhíno’s blood, in case you didn’t know.”

“But she said––” The young cop stopped.

The mustached cop stood. “Please sit down, miss.”

He was going to interrogate me. But no. He walked past me into the living room, going after Vata.

“Try the first door on the right, after the corner. That’s the ‘chapel.’”

The old man ignored me.

I sat down. The same chair I’d eaten breakfast in. Hashbrowns and ketchup. The plates and stuff still sat on the other half of the table. The wood at my side held a dark blob of a stain––Zhíno’s blood.

The dark-haired cop watched me silently.

“The Kılímos don’t have any bandages because they sacrifice animals to heal themselves.”

The young man stared at me, one eyebrow lowered. I sounded like an idiot. Pétíso! They’d lock me in a loony bin before they believed that nonsense.

No comments: