Saturday, February 04, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.2.6 - Fírí


“I’m sorry, miss,” said the mustached man, “but we’d still need a search warrant.”

I stopped in the doorway and turned to face him––just as the blond policeman brushed past, muttering “Excuse me.” A lot more polite than I’d’ve expected.

To the old man––who must’ve been police––I said, “But I’m a resident. I slept here last night. My stuff’s in the guest bedroom.”

“Not for long, dear.” Vata started shuffling towards me and the doorway.

The non-uniformed policeman waved his hand tiredly at the old woman. “Vata, stop.”

She did and alternated firing glares at me and him.

The young cop frowned with furrowed brow. “Sir? Is that right? Can she show us the house if she’s staying here?”

I didn’t know, myself, but I hoped so. I needed to nail the Kılímos as quick as possible.

“No, son. Only the owner.”

“What about apartments?”

“Or the renter.”

“Ma’am, are you renting?”

Since when was I old enough to warrant a “ma’am”? I shook my head. My left big toe still throbbed. “No, I’m not renting. Look, I’m practically bleeding out, here. Can I get some proper first aid?” I gestured to my foot, glancing down.

Bhanar’s pile of bloody rags and Zhíno’s splattered blood were still on the linoleum, right beside the old cop’s chair. How had Vata explained that away? I smiled politely at the angry, white-haired woman. “Mrs. Kılímo, do you have any bandages?”

No comments: