Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Can I vote "maybe"?

I got my Voters' Pamphlet in the mail last night. And, of course, I immediately sat down and read through it, circling everything I liked, crossing out everything I didn't like, and scribbling vigorously over Ron Sims's campaign blurb.

So, for those of you in Washington State, let me take a moment to share my opinions.

Initiative 900: Yes. Audits of government good.
Initiative 901: No. All-invasive government bad.
Initiative 330: Yes. Trial lawyers bad.
Initiative 336: No. Trial lawyers bad.
Senate Resolution 8207: Yes. City judges all equal.
Initiative 912: Yes. No. Maybe.

And here's the rub. Taxes are bad, but building things is good. True, the state hasn't done everything it should be doing with the money it currently takes, but does anybody really believe that the state will be able to accomplish more with less money? And it's not as if they aren't fixing roads. They're getting things done. Like Highway 522. But taxes are bad....

4 comments:

Pedicularis said...

The best reason I have heard to vote yes on I-912 is to send the message that we think the state is wasting our DOT money by spending it on the wrong projects (useless monorail, light rail, and heavy rail projects) and without accountability (audits). But will the message be heard? I doubt it. But I plan to vote yes anyway.

Sotosoroto said...

Initative 900 will take care of the accountability problem.

I guess the funded projects' worthiness is the main issue, then. Monorail, lightrail, etc. still need to get built, in my mind.

On the other hand, I do like to tell the government they're doing a bad job...

Sotosoroto said...

Don't bother me with the truth, flicka! I still like to tell off the government. When in doubt, vote against the incumbant.

Pedicularis said...

And another thing, not all trial lawyers are bad. They really do help people get money they deserve. But I agree that in this state the trial lawyers are getting very rich off our medical insurance dollars, and the system is out of balance.