Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.2.5 - Bhanar


Zhíno’s left hand held the gun pointed my direction. There was no way he could pull the trigger, with that broken, bloody wrist. I could make a move. I could do something. I could push the table at him, tackle him, wrest the big gun out of his right hand. Or I could make a break for the screen door.

Fírí and Vata came back. Zhíno spun to look at them, but held the guns generally on me and Pí‘oro. “Fírí, give me the keys!”

“No,” she spat.

Why not? Just give them to him and get the crazy idiot out of here.

Zhíno pointed his left-hand gun at Fírí, still in the living room. I could just barely see her through the doorway. “Give me the fucking keys, bitch.”

Now I was completely unguarded. I could do anything. And what were the odds that he’d hit me if he quickly swung his gun around and fired? I’m sure I could get close enough to him that he wouldn’t even get the gun between us. He’d shoot the ceiling as I slammed him against the wall.

“No. One way or another, I’m keeping the keys. You’re not ditching me here, that’s for damn sure.”

I stared at the smiling half of Fírí’s face I could see. Whose side was she on, anyway?

Zhíno lowered his left hand, almost dropping the gun. His right hand pointed somewhere between me and Pí‘oro. We could both take him together. Zhíno wasn’t even thinking about us anymore. I should signal Pí‘oro. We could do this.

No comments: