Monday, October 10, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.5.1 - Bhanar


Zhíno flew down the driveway in reverse, right at the second police car. I watched impotently; I had no bullets. The policeman’s car suddenly lurched forward, smashing into Mé‘ısí. I shouted, “Hey!” and started jogging down the gravel drive.

The policeman accelerated back in reverse. Zhíno’s stolen police car barely missed, skidded on the gravel, spun on the asphalt, and halted facing my left, back the way we’d all come.

I was forty yards from the road, still running. The policeman jumped out of his car, aimed his gun at Zhíno, and fired. The back window shattered. A squeal of tires and Zhíno flew down the highway. The cop fired again, but the stolen police car disappeared over the slight rise.

I stopped by my pickup. Her chrome bumper was crumpled in two spots matching the black tusk things on the front of all police cars. The right headlight was busted and the fender dented and scraped from the mailbox.

The non-stolen police car raced past me, lights flashing and siren blaring. The night air stunk of burnt rubber. I stood alone in the desert.

Now what? I had to replace Mé‘ısí’s windshield, the side window. I could get away with not fixing the front end until the insurance money came through. I turned back toward the house. I had to see if the blonde woman was all right.

Suddenly, a shiver ran over me. My knees grew weak, buckled. I dropped the rifle. I landed kneeling on the gravel. Another shiver ran up my spine, through my stomach.

No comments: