Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.2.2 - Bhanar


“Are you leaving, too?” I couldn’t tell if the old man would be happy or sad either way.

I shook my head. “I need to fix Mé‘ısí first. Does that Tamé have a car repair shop, too?” I figured in a small town like this, only the autobody shop would have a towtruck.

Pí‘oro frowned. “Mé‘ısí’s your pickup, right?”

I nodded. “Yes. I bought her when I was seven––before I had a permit.”

“Tamé’s going to be plenty busy, what with all the damage Fírí’s boyfriend caused, but I’m––”

A loud thump shook the door to the garage, followed by curses, thuds, and the clattering of falling stuff. Zhíno.

“Where is my rifle?” Had the police confiscated it? I couldn’t remember.

Pí‘oro stopped halfway to the doorknob. His brow furrowed like I was a dolt. “In its case, in your truck, in my driveway, I reckon. At least that’s where you stuck it last night.”

The doorknob turned and flew open to reveal a grinning and bandaged Zhíno, waving two handguns like a bad movie. “All right, shitheads. No sudden moves or I start shooting.”

I stayed seated. Pí‘oro raised his hands to shoulder-height. Zhíno’s left hand could barely grip its gun––Zhíno almost dropped it with each random wave. My stomach felt very heavy, my feet even heavier.

“Give me the keys.”

No comments: