Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.5.4 - Zhíno


170 kilometers per hour. 180. This bitchin’ car could fly. Headlights behind me, way back. The fucking sheriff’s deputy, no doubt.

Pain coursed through my veins. My left hand was numb. I clenched it against my side with my injured right arm. No fucking time to make a bandage. I needed more aspirin. Something stronger. Something a hell of a lot stronger.

The highway was straight for at least another ten kilometers. Nothing out here in the flat desert to get in the way. The police car in my mirror got a bit smaller, but not by much. The bastard had to be doing 160 or 170. I accelerated, the steering wheel shaking in my right hand. 190. I had to ditch that fucking cop. Nowhere to go but straight ahead.

And I couldn’t turn and kill the bastard because that fucking rifleboy had shot me down to one good hand and I needed that one to drive.

The cop car wasn’t falling back. Shit. I needed a fucking plan and I needed it now.

Road sign. One kilometer to the turn off to Suívıpíko. I gently hit the brakes. This was no time to spin out into the ditch or roll the car. Should I turn? Or should I make the bastard cop think I turned?

A lone gas station at the intersection, its lights off. 40 kilometers per hour. Headlights behind me growing quick. I slammed on the brakes, cranked the wheel left––toward the gas station and the road to Suívıpíko. The tires skidded. The car fishtailed and spun. I yanked the wheel back to the right and the car spun to a stop.

I killed the headlights.

No comments: