Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.2.3 - Fírí


“You can help me by telling me where the blood came from.” Was this old hag being obstinate on purpose, or was this normal for her?

She shook her head sadly. “My dear, it was your––”

A person-hitting-the-wall clunk interrupted Vata. She immediately tilted her head to listen. No other sounds came from across the house, but she turned––so slow that her pleated skirt didn’t flare out at all––and began shuffling down the hall.

“It was what?” I followed her, holding the sweatshirt in front of me with one hand. “It was my blood? If it was my blood, where’d it come from? I’m not injured.”

But Vata just kept walking, her slippers rubbing the carpet with each step.

“Answer me!”

“Be calm, my dear. Outer peace begets inner peace.” After a pause, the irritating woman added, “You know the truth.”

“Truth? The only truth I know is that I have no injuries and my shirt is covered in blood that you’re saying is mine. Do I need to check my body for needle marks?”

We turned in the living room toward the kitchen and there was Zhíno, looking as crazy as ever, a gun in each hand. Why couldn’t he just knock like a normal person?

He spotted me. “Fírí, give me the keys!”

No comments: