Monday, October 17, 2005

Happy Boss' Day...

Did you get your boss anything today? Yeah, me neither.

A little word on plurals and possessives apostrophes, then. Never use an apostrophe for a plural. Not even when discussing the 1840s or "Ps and Qs." When writing a possessive of a word ending in S, add an apostrophe and another S: bus's. But don't add an S if it's a plural ending in S: buses'. If the word ends in two Ss, the possessive is just an apostrophe: boss'. Never put three Ss in a row. That would just look silly and it's not like you pronounce three Ss. But if you have more than one boss, I suppose you should write it as Bosses' Day.

Thank you and good night.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I think this day is stupid. If you work for your boss, why should you shower them with gifts using the money they pay you? Oh well.. I feel obligated anyway. Guess a call to the florist is in order.
Happy Bosssses day, Mr. Grammar :)

Sotosoroto said...

Oh, and I should add that it looks really stupid to not add the S on possessives for words that end in X. Ax'? No, ax's. I've been seeing this more and more lately, from professional writers, no less! Who's been teaching them? I don't care if Red Sox is a plural. An X isn't an S. You should treat it like "children." I guess this should be filed under Pet Peeves. (-:

And I don't think anybody in my office knows it's Boss' Day...