Sunday, October 02, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.3.2 - Zhíno


That fucking bitch stole my car and left me here in some shit-hole town in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I spun around in the road, looking for options. I had to hunt Fírí down, get my car back, and kill her.

A car. The nearest one was parked in front of a house a couple doors down. Sports car. Yellow. Rènzas RZ-7. I ran.

I shattered the window behind the driver’s and reached through to unlock the door. No alarm. The door was already unlocked.

I muttered, “Fucking idiot hicks don’t even lock their cars.”

I threw open the door and crouched to look under the steering wheel. It was dark. I guessed I had to pull off that panel there. It didn’t budge. Damn movies always made it look so easy. I pointed my handgun at the ignition.

A siren whooped. Green and red lights flashed. A voice boomed, “Step away from the vehicle.”

“Aw, fuck.” How’d I not see the cops drive up?

Keeping the gun hidden, I stood and turned, slipped the gun in the pocket of my khakis.

“Step away from the vehicle.”

Exuding calm, I held my hands out to the sides and walked slowly at the cop. He was alone, opening his door and getting out like I’d interrupted a good dream. Over the door, he said, “That’s good right there.”

I kept walking at him, lowering my hands. The bastard probably didn’t know about the smuggling, but that didn’t mean I could let him arrest me. I smiled. “What’s the problem?” And pulled out my gun.

No comments: