Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.3.6 - Vata


The troubled young man had gone quite docile. I clucked my tongue. It’s always the same: the stronger they are on the outside, the weaker they are on the inside.

His girlfriend, though, was growing with impotent rage. “Is this rabbit blood?”

I couldn’t help but smile. She knew the truth––I could see it––and yet she refused to believe what her body told her.

I opened the chapel door and led Zhíno down the steps. My slippers slid off. It felt marvelous to be in contact with the soil once again, cool and firm on my wrinkled, gnarled feet.

“She wants to help,” Zhíno said.

I patted his elbow. “That’s right dear. Now please lie down.” I gestured to the altar, cut from solid rock into a perfect square, engraved continuously with Névazhíno’s ancient symbols––crossed circle and zigzag. The wholeness of the earth from which we all come and the spark of life that invigorates every soul––man and beast.

I picked the lighter fluid and the barbecue lighter off the shelf and went around the room, igniting all eight of the charcoal braziers.

Fírí stood gaping in the doorway.

“Please, dear, come inside and hold Zhíno’s hand.”

I returned the firestarters. Pí‘oro should have been there by now with the dog. What was taking him?

“Dear? Come in.”

No comments: