Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.4.2 - Bhanar


The beautiful blonde spun to look at the cop car, which flew at us so fast I didn’t think he saw us. She suddenly dove off the driveway, screaming, “That’s Zhíno!” The bastard who shot Mé‘ısí. And now he’d killed a cop.

The cruiser slid to a halt just short of where the woman had been, the siren blaring. Zhíno had the gun up to the window, then poking out a bit as the glass rolled down. I couldn’t let him shoot first this time. Twice was enough. His hand came out and I fired.

The handgun rotated slowly out of his grasp and tumbled to the gravel.

My body didn’t want to listen, but I forced it to stand up, commanding one frozen muscle at a time. Bits of gravel stuck to my forearms. I leveled the empty rifle at Zhíno and started cautiously forwards. He writhed in pain, eyes squeezed shut. I guess I got him good, in the hand or wrist. Served him right. Too bad I didn’t have any bullets to finish him off.

I stopped a few feet away, my rifle pointing in the door window. I shouted over the siren, “Leave the car.”

His bloody left hand was tucked in his right armpit, which already had a bloody bandage tied around the arm. The cop must’ve gotten one shot. “Leave the car!” He looked up at me, grimacing––but didn’t move. Lights flashing the corner of my eye. Another police car. A cop or another cop killer? I didn’t turn to look. “Leave the car!”

No comments: