Thursday, October 13, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.5.5 - Vata


Pí‘oro set the wet rags on the table beside me. I put the bloody towel on the clean, dry ones so as to not stain the wood, and picked up a wet one.

Fírí’s eyes were wide open, her jaw tight.

“Just relax, dear,” I murmured. “We’re here to help you.” I dabbed the wound on her temple, picking out bits of dirt, wiping the blood away.

Fírí remained very tense. Her forehead continued to bleed, bright red pinpricks appearing after my towel lifted from her raw flesh.

I removed the last flecks of foreign matter and stood back. Fírí stared at me, her eyes growing moist.

“Don’t worry, dear.” I took the bottom clean rag and held it out to her. “Take this. Hold it to your forehead.”

She adjusted how she held her dirty sweatshirt and took the cloth. As she pressed it to her head wound with her left hand, I leaned over and began cleaning that elbow.

I wondered if anybody else needed assistance. Several gunshots had sounded since we came inside. If they hit anybody, we’d have to help them, too. “Pí‘oro dearest, could you please see if anyone out front is injured?”

“Yes, dear,” he grumbled and wandered toward the front door.

Fírí winced. A tear ran down her cheek.

“Don’t worry, dear. We’re here to help you.” I kept cleaning her elbow wound, bloody and torn.

Through clenched teeth, the young woman hissed, “Don’t help Zhíno. Whatever you do, don’t help that fucking bastard.”

No comments: