Thursday, October 27, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.4.1 - Bhanar


I found old-looking towels in one of the drawers, but as I turned back to the mess of blood, my eyes paused on the phone. Silence. Zhíno was pacified. I should call the cops.

I tossed the rags on the pool of blood and grabbed the receiver off the wall. A preset button was labeled “Police.” I smiled. Convenient.

“Sheriff’s,” greeted a tenor.

“He is back. We have him.” My heart raced.

“Who is this?” he asked. “Who do you have?”

I took a deep breath. “My name is Bhanar Narak. At the house of Pí‘oro Kılímı. Last night’s gun fight. Zhíno Zhudırı. He came back.”

“Hold on one moment.” I heard rustling and then muffled voices.

The screen door squeaked. Claws clicked on linoleum. “Who are you calling?” Pí‘oro and a leashless dog. Chocolate lab but with longer hair, a fluffy tail wagging.

“The police.” The dog smelled my hand, let me scratch his head.

“Oh.” Pí‘oro nodded sideways. Zhíno’s handgun stuck out from the belt of his khakis.

The guy on the phone said, “I found the file. 5430 East Crater Road? We’ll dispatch a deputy.”

“He has a gun. I do not know the address.” To Pí‘oro, I asked, “Why the dog?”

“5430 East Crater Road,” replied the old man. “He’s for Zhíno.”

“That’s the correct address.” I stared at Pí‘oro. What did he mean? “For Zhíno?”

No comments: