Sunday, October 30, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.5.5 - Pí‘oro


It was Tamé, scowling in the heat that flowed in from outside, hot breath on my face.

“Good morning, Pí‘oro. Sorry to bother you.” He tried looking past me. I stepped carefully to block. He met my eyes again. “You’re obviously busy, but can I get you to move a couple cars so I can tow the one in the garage?”

Not trouble at all. The police would be here soon, though. “Sure. No problem.” Maybe I could get Vata and just drive away. But our lives were here.

Tamé grinned awkwardly. “Great.”

Behind me, Vata asked, “Who is it, dearest?”

I turned. The kids were where I left them. “Tamé. He’s come to get Zhíno’s car for the sheriff.”

“But I need you guys to move the Huírupho and probably the van, too.”

To Tamé, I said, “We won’t be a minute.” I started closing the door. “Air-conditioning.” The latch clicked shut. To Vata, “Here, move the car. I’ll get the keys for the van.” As I walked past, I handed my wife the car keys from my pocket.

Halfway down the hall, my chest shattered. My brains exploded in my skull. The floor hit my face. Flames engulfed my legs and I tried to crawl away, but I had no arms. Waves of insane agony crashed against my consciousness, almost overwhelming me, pulling me under. Pain. Nothing but pain in every cell of my body, every molecule, every atom. I was pain. And then I was nothingness.

No comments: