Monday, March 27, 2006

Gather 'round the Tostitos this Easter!

That was the ad on my shopping cart yesterday. If it's not the most bizarre ad I've ever seen, it's right up there. Just that phrase and a platter of mini-nachos.

Yesterday afternoon, a KOMO 4 News van parked on the street near my building. And a second newsvan, but this one without any markings. They both raised their towers high into the sky. A KOMO reporter showed up in an suv, but left again. Then the KOMO van took down its tower and drove off. The unmarked van kept its antenna up, taller than my building, pointing south towards downtown.

When I came back in the evening, a Q13 newsvan was parked there, a huge satellite dish on its roof. They had the huge light and the camera and the reporter all going. By ten o'clock, though, they'd turned off the light, so I guess their piece didn't need to be live during the news.

So, what do you think they were doing there? From KOMO's lack of hurry, I'd guessed it was a human-interest story. But when Q13 showed up. . . It turns out that the killer in the Capitol Hill shooting this weekend lived in the apartments across the street. . . . Great. . .

No comments: