Friday, March 17, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.5.6 - Sétıpímo


The television cut away to the studio as the two reporters proved they had no information or intelligence. I turned to face Ríko. “I have a search warrant that I need you to sign.” I pulled the paper out of my coat pocket and unfolded it. “It’s for the Kılímo residence. Vata was giving me weird vibes. And Zhudıro’s girlfriend was yelling rape and some strange accusations.”

The judge frowned and held out his hand. I gave him the form and he put it on his desk under the lamp. He leaned close, grunted a couple times as he read it. “’Serious suspicions of illegal activity,’ eh?” He grabbed a pen. “You didn’t want to put ‘weird vibes’ in the official record, did you?” He signed it fluidly and handed it back to me, smiling. “Be nice to the old girl. It’s been a hectic couple of days for her. Don’t mess up her house unless you have to.”

“Ríko, it’s me.” I grinned. “Don’t worry.”

His eyes narrowed in a smile. He growled, “Get out of here, you old fool.”

I headed for the hallway door, light on my feet. Finally I was going to be useful again.

“Remember, Sétıpímo, you’re not as young as you used to be.”

Over my shoulder, I replied, “Don’t remind me.”

The judge followed me to the front door. “Hopefully your next visit won’t be for business.”

“It won’t, trust me. Keep the cards ready.” I swung open the door and stepped out into the warm evening air.

No comments: